Friday, June 20, 2014

He's cooking vegetarian... is he alright?

Look at them pretty Giant Limas!
Well hello and welcome back.  I have been going through some of the dishes I have made here recently and thought I'd surprise you folks by adding a vegetarian soup.  Most of you know I am the farthest thing from a vegetarian, I loves my meats!  I was in the canned vegetable aisle in my local Krogers and saw some great discounts on some items, so I tossed some into the cart and away I went.  I got home and started a mission to come up with something tasty.  I believe I did and here's what I made.

Vegetable Bean Soup

1 15 oz can giant Lima beans
1 15 oz can sweet green peas
1 15 oz can pinto beans
1 15 oz can yellow corn
1 10 oz can RoTel tomatoes
1 15 oz can warm water
1 tbs minced garlic
1/2 cup onion (small dice)
1/2 stick butter
1/2 tsp Tony Chachere's
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
1 tsp parsley flakes
1/2 tsp dried Italian herbs

This is pretty easy, in a large pot, melt the butter and sauté the onion and garlic until wilted.  Add the remaining ingredients and fold all together.  Bring to a boil while stirring and then turn down on low, cover and cook for a good while.  If you wanted to you could brown a pound of hamburger or add some stewed chicken or beef.  You can add more can of different beans, black beans, white beans, red beans, etc.  Or even black eyed peas, lentils, butter beans, whatever you like, but this was a great combination.

This bean soup is great with rice, wild rice or regular.  You can also spice it up a bit if you'd like as well by adding some tabasco or habanero sauce.  Give this a try!

Cheers,

RouxBDoo!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good, but I'd have to do 2 pots. One with meat, the other without. The hubby is a meat-a-tarian. Have to severely beat him to eat vegetables.....sometimes all it does is just wear me out........so it's not worth the effort.

    Happy weekend,
    Ramona

    I changed my google + id, if I had not told you already

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got all the ingredients...gonna give this a whirl tomorrow! Might just bring some by the theatre for y'all!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you Comment. Come back soon!